ULTEM® is an amorphous thermoplastic polyetherimide (PEI) material which
combines exceptional mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties.
Natural ULTEM® 1000 (unreinforced) is a translucent amber material. The
addition of glass fiber reinforcement to the basic ULTEM®, coupled with
Ensinger's proprietary extrusion techniques, provides the ULTEM® with
both greater tensile strength and rigidity while at the same time
improving dimensional stability.
- Excellent mechanical strength
ULTEM® exhibits high tensile strength at room temperature
and retains a significant portion of this strength at elevated
Glass fibers further increase high-temperature strength.
- Outstanding heat resistance
ULTEM® retains its physical properties at elevated
- Exceptional resistance to environmental forces
Environmental characteristics of ULTEM® include it's stress
- Inherent flame resistance with low smoke evolution
Tested internally to UL 94 V-O.
- High mechanical strength
- High dielectric strength and stability
The high dielectric strength and constant values of ULTEM®
make it an excellent electrical insulator.
- Low dissipation factor over a wide range of frequencies
- Excellent machinability and finishing characteristics
ULTEM® can be easily machined with conventional metalworking
tools, painted, hot stamped, printed, or metallized.
- Resin used in natural grade are FDA, and NSF compliant
- Stock shapes in natural grade meet USP Class VI
ULTEM® has many applications in medical, electronic/electrical,
automotive, and aircraft industries